Sunday, January 31, 2010

Avoiding the Brightly-Lit Aisles

There is one chore that hangs over our heads every weekend, often from the moment it starts until about 5 o'clock on Sunday, cutting in mentally and literally on our precious free time. Like mopping the floor, I'd give it up entirely, except that without it we would cease to exist. I speak of grocery shopping. Dreaded every weekend. Either one of us runs out during the precious naptime moments, thereby giving up much more enjoyable things like sleep or television, or we all truck out together as a family. Which often involves a three-year-old public tantrum that leaves us all weary and embarrassed.

In all honesty, there are just so many other things I'd RATHER do with my time than grocery shop. So, I am seriously considering using a grocery delivery service (Pea Pod). I've outsourced the mopping of my floors (after letting the grime build for nearly a year), and now I think I'm going to outsource my grocery shopping. The trial run will likely be next week, as M. is currently at the grocery store doing this week's shopping (never fear, I sent him with a list so he wouldn't go crazy and come home with buffalo wings and ice cream and nothing else). It seems as though the financial cost will be a $7-$8 delivery charge and a tip for the driver - not too bad. But still an extra cost, so I'm not completely sold yet. Have any of you used a grocery delivery service? Do you like it?

In an unrelated note, Finn has been cracking us up lately (when he isn't making us blow steam out of our ears). I keep meaning to keep a running record of the things he says, but as with creating a baby book for each kid, I have been unsuccessful in following through. I'll share this little tidbit, though, as it's fresh in my mind. Finn has a good handle on gender - he knows he is a boy, Lucy is a girl, etc. The concept of "Human," though, has been more difficult for him to grasp. Last night at dinner he got downright mad when M. and I told him that he is human. He insisted, instead, that he is a huboy. And I am a hugirl (he refused to admit I'm a woman and calls me a girl - I'm either flattered or offended, not sure which), Lucy is a hubaby, and Macy (our cat) is a hucat. The only human in the room, according to Finn, was M. His confidence in his rightness was charming and hysterical.

9 comments:

  1. I saw on the today show on Friday that people who have groceries delivered actually save money in the long run. The rationale included time saved, as well as resisting the urge to just buy stuff when you are in the store. With delivery, you just stick to the list. I went grocery shopping yesterday and certainly came home with stuff I did not need...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be Debbie Downer here... But I tried Peapod, and found it frustrating. It took me just as long to find the things I needed on the website as it does for me to shop in store. There seem to be fewer choices between brands on certain items too. And the prices are higher than what you pay in store. You can use coupons, but they apply them as a credit towards the next order. I did it twice and then gave up. Try going on a weeknight after the kids are in bed. No one in the store at that time and you can zip right through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm not sold on the Peapod type experience either. The only real benefit is the freshness of fruits and vegetables. I'm considering having those delivered and that would cut my grocery trip down considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like to go when it opens first thing on Sunday - so quiet that I don't feel bad about N's tantrums. Or one parent watches both kids and the other gets a break. The only people I know who use delivery services are those that live in the city without cars. We talked about trying it when I was home alone on maternity leave but I NEEDED to get out of the house so Aaron was in charge of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do the big grocery shop at Sam's club once every three months for boxed, canned, or frozen goods. Then I go to grocery shop sometimes during the middle of the day at work. I rarely go on the weekends. It works for me. I won't get delivery at all - they would never be able to find my house! Plus I'm the gal who won't pay $5 to use the water fund, I'm not paying an extra $7 + for my groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a HUGE believer in PeaPod. Love it love it love it! You can enter your savings card number, and they'll pull up everything you've ever purchased so there's a list right there of the stuff you most often buy. You can shop directly off the sale flyer, AND there are more sale items online. If and when we need to actually step foot in the store, my husband goes to a 24hr supermarket after he gets off work at midnight. He loves it, cause he's the only one in there. Also, I agree that PeaPod's produce is much more fresh AND if you are not 100% satisfied, call the customer service number and they will credit your account. Definitely worth a try. I can't remember the last time I was in a grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used Safeway grocery delivery once. It was a pretty good experience, and the produce was okay, but nothing to write home about. I like to pick out my own meat and produce, though. And I also thought the process of making my on-line list was time-consuming. BUT, you should definitely try it. They usually have deals where your first delivery would be free, so take advantage of it!

    I found your blog through Julie, btw (My Life with Roundface). Looks like we have some stuff in common, including the commute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used Peapod and others like it, although its been many years since I have done so. I loved it. I was living in the city (Chicago) at the time and I didn't have a car, so grocery trips were on foot in subzero temps and were limited to what I could carry in a backpack. So I used the delivery services and it was so convenient, the produce and meat fresh and I could order what I wanted, no matter how heavy. The first time navigating the website may take some time, but once you get the hang of it, it should go quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I were drinking milk it would have shot out of my nose... hugirl... man that kid cracks me up.

    please keep the comedy coming :-)

    ReplyDelete