Friday, August 6, 2010

Simply Shocked

Last night I served veggie burgers and french fries for dinner (and fresh cherries, but that is not a central point to this post). I opened a new bottle of ketchup for the burgers and fries, and half way through I realized that it tasted funny to me.

Now, I'm a Heinz ketchup girl - it's clearly the best ketchup brand, and generic just doesn't cut it. But I wondered if something was going on, as this bottle tasted too sweet and just a bit off to me. I looked at the label, and it said "Simply Heinz Tomato Ketchup." I don't recall the "Simply" being on the label before.

I happened to have the old, empty bottle of ketchup waiting to go out to the recycling bin. Sure enough, it confirmed that the "Simply" wasn't on the old bottle. I compared the ingredients list between the two, and the only difference (aside from the order being a little off) was that one bottle had corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, while the other had sugar. Guess which one I preferred? Yup, the one with the evil HFCS. This shatters all kinds of snooty, preconceived notions I have about my palette and my health conscious-ness.

M. couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I guess regular Heinz ketchup is going to have to join Diet Coke, canned green beans and Oreos (among others) on the List of Foods I Love But Know I Shouldn't Due to The Presence of Harmful Chemicals/Substances. Any of you have a similar list?

5 comments:

  1. my parents have also served me that "simply" gross ketchup. I knew right away something was up too. yuck! I hate anything with aspartame, or any fake sugar. I would rather eat the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKAY!! Now this is something I know something about! In Malcolm Gladwell's latest book What the Dog Saw, there is an entire chapter on why Heinz ketchup is the PERFECT ketchup. I stopped my guilty feeling over loving Heinz after reading that article.

    I actually like Trader Joe's oreos better than real oreos and they have "healthy" ingredients.

    My list:
    Coke Zero Cherry
    Frosting in a tub
    microwave popcorn
    Take Five bars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Trader Joes Organic Ketchup. Good ingredients and it tastes like good 'ol normal ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much ketchup are you consuming that it gets banned?I think you have to take that into account as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha - no, I'm NOT banning it. Hence the guilt :-). And we only have it every once in a while for meals where it's a natural fit. Though I'm sure the kids would like to have it every night!

    ReplyDelete