Thursday, July 23, 2009

At Least It's Not A Baby Ruth Bar

I don't mind if Finn pees in the pool, honestly I don't. Everybody expects it, right? I mean, a public pool, especially the baby pool, has to be about 55% urine, don't you think? And honestly, bringing a wet child, with a wet swim diaper and a wet bathing suit, into a women's locker room of questionable cleanliness is no one's idea of a good time. I know, because I've done it. The logistics of wriggling in and out of wet clothes (which must be done completely so that this little child, who is not tall enough to stand up yet, can instead perch precariously, holding on tight with his little hands, on a germ-infested toilet seat), washing hands when neither soap nor sink is reachable, etc, is just too tiring to even think about.

But I can't TELL Finn this. I can't say to him "Hey, I know we've been going on and on about how great it is that you pee in the potty now, and not in a diaper, but there's this one little exception to the rule..." Yeah, I think that would be a bad idea. And so, even though we still put him in a swim diaper (they totally don't contain pee, but HE doesn't know that) when we go to the pool, Finn thinks he shouldn't pee while swimming. Each time we've gone recently, he has (loudly) let us know that he needs to go to the bathroom. After our first experience with the wet bathing suit, etc, etc, though, I don't WANT to take him to the bathroom. Bad mom that I am, I ask him if he can hold it a few more minutes until we get ready to go home. And what's the worst that could happen, really? He pees in the pool? No big deal, we've established that all the kids do it. Finn wants to keep swimming (ha, swimming, I would hardly call it that, but that's because I'm bitter that Finn has so far completely refused to wear the flotation device I was so excited for him to try out), so he readily agrees.

And then, mere minutes later, lets me know quite matter-of-factly that he has peed a little bit. You know, in his outside voice, the one that CARRIES SO WELL.

And then everyone, who until then has been happily pretending that the pool if full of only water and chlorine, is forced to contemplate how they are now swimming in my son's pee.

Like I said, I DON'T CARE if Finn pees in the pool. I just wish he didn't feel the need to announce it to the world.

2 comments:

  1. [wiping away a tear from laughter]

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only advice, I bring an extra pair of swim trunks so I don't have to struggle to put them back on.

    ReplyDelete