Tuesday, October 13, 2009

File Under Ridiculous

Or "This is What's Wrong With the Insurance Industry":

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,564501,00.html

A 4-month-old baby was denied health coverage for being too fat. TOO FAT. At 17 pounds, he is at 99% on the growth curve. Of course, maybe his parents are feeding him Snickers bars while he sleeps, so this is entirely reasonable. Oh, wait, nope, HE'S BREASTFED. Eats when he's hungry, until he's not hungry anymore. Like every other reasonable baby.

I could go on and on and on about how ridiculous I think this is. Or how an otherwise perfectly healthy baby with Downs Syndrome has never been able to get health coverage for having a "pre-existing condition."

This is just a little part of why genetics non-discrimination legislation and health care reform are needed. What that should look like, I don't know. But clearly needed!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely ridiculous. I'm a bit out of the loop on the health care debate, primarily because I've always had health care through work. It's scary to think that if I lose my job I won't have coverage, which millions don't. Buit to deny a baby!?! Craziness.

    ReplyDelete