Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dude, it's Nuke-lee-errrr!!!

Why is it that all Republicans seem to feel the need to pronounce the word nuclear as nukular?? I swear, it's like fingernails down a chalkboard for me. My biggest political pet peeve, I think.

I will say, though, that that Sarah Palin has a great stylist. Sign me up for those glasses. OK, I still prefer my contacts, but she does have a nice hair style.

I'm embarrassed to say that I fell asleep about 30 minutes into the first presidential debate last week. Here it is, 9:53 pm, and I'm still awake during the VP verbal sparring. Admittedly, though, I pulled out the computer just now to stave off the inevitable super-long blinks that are a short step away from snoring and drooling on the couch. But I definitely find these two a bit more interesting than their presidential counterparts, I guess.

Back to my original rant, on further research, it appears that mis-pronunciation of the word nuclear is not limited to Republicans. Here's an interesting little tidbit from Slate.com that discusses it. Hmm, if Bill Clinton was guilty of the infraction, I wonder if that extends to his wife, the candidate I was hoping to be voting for this election... Food for thought. Can't say it would have changed my mind for sure, but "nukular" REALLY annoys me!

9 comments:

  1. And how everyone pronounces IRAQ. Drives me crazy. It's not EYE-rack. It's ER-rack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. EYE-rack, EYE-ran, PACK-istan, Tali-BAN. Ugh. Can't stand it. It's offensive and disrespectful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and makes us sound very dumb. Also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I believe it's er-ROCK, not er-RACK. And yes, it is annoying, offensive, disrespectful, and don't forget ignorant.

    I am horrified that "nucular" has become so common that it is considered an acceptable alternative pronunciation in the lexicon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Palin's hair is awful- throwing it up with that damn bannana clip makes her look so dated.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? When did "nucular" become acceptable? It is about as acceptable as normalcy - not a word dude. It is normality. This just makes my ears bleed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, let me defend my hair comment. It falls nicely in the back. That's all. I don't care for the long bangs or the poofy top. As someone who has thin hair, I'm just a bit jealous of the sheer amount and wavy-ness. And I was kidding about the glasses.

    And now I'm going to cease to talk about Sarah Palin's style, because it's not like I'm sitting here critiquing what Joe Biden was wearing (though I didn't love his tie choice) or how his skin tone looked. It's such a habit to notice what women are wearing, and I hate that I fall into that trap too easily. Who cares, when the woman clearly can't think on her feet and isn't able to respond to a question directly, without spouting some completely unrelated party line?

    ReplyDelete
  8. now listen, Joe six-pack and the soccer moms and the third graders I gave a shout out to in the debate all say nukular the same way and darn tootin', we like it that way up there in Alaska. We're not gonna answer questions like you want or say the words like you think we should because we're just a bunch of mavericks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know if you all have seen this:

    http://womenagainstsarahpalin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete